Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Are parking charge notices enforceable legally? Assistant:

Customer Question

Are parking charge notices enforceable legally?
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I received a parking charge notice by post from a private parking company. I have ignored it
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's fine
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Please explain what happened

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I parked In a car park in Woolwich and overstayed the parking paid for. I had received a parking charge notice but have ignored it. I want to know the current legal position of these.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I understand they are basically invoices and as such do not count as a debt until enforced by the courts?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.

Yes, are you prepared to risk being sued?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not wish to be sued but the charge for parking is exorbitant to the original cost. In basic principles of contract law where a breach occurs the remedy is damages that seek to redress the claimants financial position had the contract been completed to terms. Damages can not be used as a penalty. I want to know under UK law where i stand.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.

If your primary point is that the sum they are claiming exceeds the sum of their loss then that is been considered and dismissed in the case of Beavis.

Unfortunately that has been decided against the motorist.