How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 3448
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We need to appeal a "could not provide efficient evidence of

Customer Question

We need to appeal a "could not provide efficient evidence of car insurance" when stopped.
The short of the story as follows: We part exchanged the car with Vauxhall, but could not find the log book. Vauxhall gave us a receipt for the part exchange, and assured us the car was only good fro scrapping.
We continued to look for the log-book, but could not find. Vauxhall said it has been scrapped, we relaxed. Nearly 4 months later the car was stopped, person driving could not provide insurance evidence. As the car was still registered at my ex-residentail address, which I rent out, beliefs came to that address.
Tenant called me in shock, bailiff demanding £660. I paid over the phone to calm the tenant/situation.
We are now waiting for the next court date to put our case across. We would just like a refund and conviction dropped etc.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

did you change fill out a V5?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tried doing it online (order V5) using references from other correspondence (may have bee a MOT or Tax reminder). The site didn't work. Then the following Month the car was part-exchanged. We still did not give up looking for the log book (we had just moved house), so we thought it was just mis-placed, at this stage,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would rather do by text communication 1st check if we have a case. We are happy for yourself to be instructed if needed (Hertfordshire),
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

thank you.

Are you asking if this is a defence?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we in reality did not own or drive the car after May. The offence happened 4 months after we part exchange in September, to a car dealer (Vauxhall). They gave us a receipt for the part exchange (print-out) with the car e.g. on the receipt, and assured us (which we have in an email) they scrapped the car. We 2 things; 1 refund of £660 we paid the bailed as he threaten to take goods of £1000, etc, and 2 obviously we do not commit the offence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If your feel that my Wishes (1 and 2) is valid (on proof of receipts/dates and events), then we are happy for a 50% split on refund (£330).