Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I left my car to be MOT'd with a garage about 3 weeks ago.

Customer Question

I left my car to be MOT'd with a garage about 3 weeks ago. The car needed work and there was a wait time for parts. During that time I had to declare the car as SORN as the tax had expired. The garage must have then parked the car on a public street because I've just received a penalty of£185 due to the car been in a SORN state. I still have yet to collect from the garage. Who is responsible for paying the penalty notice? I feel it should be the garage because they have the car in their possession at present.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Will the garage not pay?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, I haven't asked them to pay yet. My understanding was that the vehicle was being MOT'd and repaired so this provides cover for the garage as they have to be able to test the vehicle on the road, etc.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know a car can legally driven (with insurance) to a pre-booked MOT testing station if it has been SORN'd and/or has no road tax. It can also be legally driven back home following testing, esp if failed. My question concerns the status of the car while it is in possession of the garage.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have already responded to DVLA giving details of the situation.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello? Anyone there?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If there's going to be no response then please close the question and I'll ask for my money back.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Why start answering a question and then leave it alone. I just don’t get how this service is supposed to help anyone.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
12 years of experience? Doing what exactly? Because it sure ain’t been helping with legal issues!