JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Today (4.8.18) I received a fine from Florence Italy because

Customer Question

Today (4.8.18) I received a fine from Florence Italy because my own car was seen in an apparently proscribed 'area' on 31.8.17. I drove to my central Florence hotel and arranged for the car to be garaged.
Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Am I responsible as the keeper of the car for this fine rather than the driver who took the car from the hotel and returned it?
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I do not need to appear in court - it's just a fine from Italy sent in English and Italian
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 4 months ago.
Hello, thank you for the questionIt would be the driver who is liable - it would be similar if they were caught speeding and the driver would be liable. You should write to confirm who was driving and they should fine the driver and not you.I hope this helps. Please accept and give a star rating - I can offer unlimited and free of charge follow up Q&A’sKind regardsJim
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know who the driver was but I am happy that in Italy it is the driver and not the vehicle keeper as in France

It seems the Florence Hotel would be liable for the acts of their staff who drove the car