SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Parked car in McDonalds Car Park at Gatwick - took me 15/20

Customer Question

Parked car in McDonalds Car Park at Gatwick - took me 15/20 mins wait to get a space.Didn't notice any notice of parking restriction. Received Penalty Charge Notice from MET Parking Services as I had been in car park for over the maximum time parked for over of 1 hour (they timed me as parking for 76 mins.). I apealed on 2 grounds.
1) the parkig notice they had sent to me had not given me the usual 14 days to ay at a discount - instrctionswording was incorrect on the back of notice
2) I did not notice the sign and also that I wasn't able to properly park for 15/20 mins.I received result of my appeal - they are sticking to the fact that I sayed over 60 mins.
As regards ***** ***** info. they have conceded this by stating (coied directly below):A techncal error during while while preparing for GDPR resulted in the wrongwording being sent. This has not affected the
standard progression and as you have appealed within 14 days the discount applies. We apologise for any inconvenience
caused.
I'm annoyed that they can make an error but still claim payment - do I need to pay?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 11 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your question, I am looking into for you right away.

The grounds for challenging a PCN, which an adjudicator will likely accept are very specific. These include that the penalty exceeded the amount that applied in the circumstances;that the contravention did not occur; the traffic regulation order is invalid;you did not own the vehicle;the penalty has been paid already and that there were compelling reasons. Please note I have not included the ones that are clearly not applicable to your situation. The compelling reasons could apply to you however you will have real difficulty especially because after 20 minutes trying to find parking you then stayed in the parking for what they say is over an hour. Unless you can prove that the sign is not visible this is a matter where allowing you to pay the discounted rate would most likely be considered reasonable. I think it will cost you more time to challenge this one and may be best to pay the discounted rate as it seems you are not able to show that you did not park for as long as they claim. The error that they have admitted does not affect their right to charge the penalty unfortunately it only addresses the fact that you did not get the correct detail for exercising your rights to pay the discounted rate. I hope the response is helpful to you. If you are satisfied with the reply please do not forget to kindly rate my service. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Clear advice - Thanks
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 10 days ago.

You are very welcome. If you have not done so already please do not forget to rate my service as this helps us to keep track of the services we provide and to continue perfecting the quality of services we provide. Thank you.