Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I moved address a few years ago. I changed the address with

Hi,I moved address a few years ago. I changed the address with the DVLA but forgot to change the V5C address (I thought they'd be the same).The mail from the address I moved from has not been forwarded until now, when I've received an outdated court summons letter.The car in question has been parked on the side of the road outside the new house which matches my driving license address.Is it worth my contesting this in court? I have record of attempted repairs and, more recently, the car being scrapped. Since the car was unusable I have been driving another one since.Thanks for your help,Jenni

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What is the summons for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry. The initial summons letter never made it to me. My ex sent my the notice of collection of fines. Specifically it was for the car being uninsured. It was taxed, and I have had a policy which allows me to drive any car with third party insurance at all times.

Okay. But is this particular vehicle covered?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. The vehicle was not covered, besides the third party insurance granted to me by a policy for another car.

If this is failing to keep the vehicle continuously insured then I'm afraid you do not have a defence. Come what may, this vehicle was not covered by a policy of insurance. I realise that third-party insurance may have covered you to drive it but that is not the test. The test is whether or not there was a policy of insurance covering this vehicle and there was not.

I'm very sorry that I have to give you truthful information.

Can I clarify anything you?