Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have recently received a speeding fine through the post.

I have recently received a speeding fine through the post. This was issued by a man sitting in a marked police van. The van was clearly marked police. The man inside was not a policeman but was someone who was authorised to use the equipment. Is the speeding ticket legal? Are there grounds of him impersonating an officer of the law?
Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: This was in Lincolnshire. Uk.
Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Just been asked to pay the fine.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

what do you mean he was not a policeman?

explain what you saw please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I stopped and asked for his police number. He stated he wasn't a policeman but an agent authorised by the police and had the appropriate paperwork to use the radar equipment.

Were you speeding?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was going 34 in a 30 zone. I accept that. Even though the letter came through the post can this be legally carried out by someone impersonating a police officer? I say impersonating as he was in a clearly marked police van but was not a police officer just a sub contractor?

he isn't impersonating an officer. He is a civilian support staff.

In any event, you can't exclude evidence because it is gathered by a person impersonating an officer. We do not, and have never had, in English law the fruit of the poison tree doctrine.

Plead guilty unless you have another defence.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. That's all.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/