Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My partner has received a letter from a solicitor to state

Hello, my partner has received a letter from a solicitor to state he was driving his mothers vechile with no insurance when he was not. I have spoken to the lady accusing him and she advised she told the police and insurance on the day that it was my partner driving but then a few days later realised it was not him and was his mother and informed her insurance company but my partner has now received this letter. What should he do ?
Assistant: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: My partners mothers car is fine but will need some works but I believe the other car has been written off? We haven’t contacted one just yet as unsure if he should just ignore the letter as he wasn’t driving and the lady who reported the crash advised he wasn’t ?
Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: The letter states my partner does but we are unsure as to why he needs to as he was not driving
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is all

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello , I want to know if my partner can disregard this letter

Is it a summons?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was a letter stating he needs to go to court for driving with no insurance however the lady reported the incident back in August and the letter has only been sent now and the lady advised she has reported my partner was not the driver but he has still received this letter ?

Does it give a Court date?

Who is the Solicitor?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
keoghs

Magistrates Court?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe so

can you check?

Is there an allegation of an accident?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello yes it is, and yes there is there is a statement from the lady however this statement is invalid which she has stated to us and has also stated she has previously advised my partner was not driving and there is no mention of that statement nor any mention of his mother on this letter

So is this a County Court issued claim?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I believe it’s been issued from the insurance company , the lady who put the claim in has a company car so doesn’t deal with her insurance directly she deals with the lease company who contact the insurance so when we contacted her regarding this she was very confused
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She had no idea why her insurance hasn’t been in contact with my partners mother and why my partner has received this letter

Ok. You need to check. It sounds like a County Court claim for damages.

I need to know whether it is.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How would we check this ? Will it be on the letter

You have a Court date.

There should be a claim number or something with it.

It should say on the letter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello yes it’s a county court claim

Ok. Is the date you got a date to respond or its actually in Court?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A date to respond

Ok. You need to pass it to the insurers for the vehicle.

They will take over the claim and respond. As if it is found against him they would have to pay out.

So send it tomorrow special delivery to the insurers.

They will deal with it.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello no that it is all. Thanks for your help

Pleasure.