How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 75499
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son in law was stopped by the police for not wearing a

This answer was rated:

My son in law was stopped by the police for not wearing a seat belt.
Assistant: Where is your son-in-law? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In England ..but he had didnt know he had to change his address on his driving licence..they have moved a few times and are in the process of moving again..he has now had a letter saying he has been fined £100 for seatbelt and £1000 for not changing address. I changed his address after the police stopped him so licence is now registered to where he lives now..He would have been notified of any letters from his previous addresses as he is still in contact with the people that live there. He is Turkish that's why I'm texting you.
Assistant: What steps has your son-in-law taken so far?
Customer: None just changed the address as I said earlier
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My son in law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No didn't realise it was £44
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I cant find the response to my question

Ok, what is your question about this?

Jo C. and 3 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I dont want to pay £44 I would just like a response to my question please

You haven't actually asked a question yet.

you can get a refund on the call by emailing customer services.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My son in law was stopped by the police for not wearing a seat belt in england. His driving licence was registered to his old address. He didnt realise he had to change his address they have moved a few times . He has contact with the people at his previous address. He has now had a fine for £100 for not wearing a seat belt and £1000 for not changing his address. They dont have £1100 to pay what can they do? Hes turkish and dosent write english very well.

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

The reality is that he has been fined. This is the barest fine. It cannot get better at court. If he hasn’t got the money then he cannot pay but he bears the risk that he will be summonsed and then the fine would be higher although he would be given time to pay.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.