John LLB
John LLB, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I am in Scotland. I have just received a parking ticket from

Customer Question

I am in Scotland. I have just received a parking ticket from a private parking company saying I need to pay £60 in 14 days or £100 in 28 days for not complying with the signage.
Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: scotland
Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: no
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i telephoned the number given in the car park, gave my car and card details to pay for the £1 parking charge. I thought I had paid for the parking only to now receive this letter. It was £1 for 1 hours parking. I was there for 12 minutes!!
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  John LLB replied 14 days ago.

Hello welcome to Just Answer.

I can assist you with this. I am just reviewing your question and will provide a response later on this afternoon.

Just be aware that this is not a chat service so there may be delays in responding.

Expert:  John LLB replied 14 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your patience.

This is not a fine, actually it is an invoice arising from a civil matter/contract dispute. They are entitled to sue you only for the breach of contract of their terms and conditions. There is no legal basis for them to charge you £60 as this price cannot be justified in the court of law. You should stop corresponding with them.

They normally do not sue in the majority of cases. The reason for this is that if they do commence proceedings then they would only be able to claim for the sum of the original invoice- if the court deemed this was a reasonable charge (and it isn’t). Plus the actual cost of taking you to court is not cost effective for them to do so.

You should stop corresponding with them, they are unlikely to sue you. You have paid the contractual terms i.e. £1 therefore no further correspondence should be made with them. None of these cases ever reach court despite any threats they may give and in the unlikely event it does reach court, 99% of cases are successfully defended.

If you do receive any further letters from them please let me know by returning to the site and putting my name first before any question and it will come directly to me.

I hope I have assisted you today, please take a moment to provide a positive rating, the thread remains open for any further questions you want to ask at no extra cost, thank you. John