Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I received a private parking fine not council I only drove

Hi There I received a private parking fine not council I only drove in for my friend to use the toilet there were no machines visible either.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Jo

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes as it’s not council and I couldn’t see a machine can a private parking fine company enforce this?

This is a private land fine. There is a good of nonsense on the internet about private land fines. The truth is that they always did have a perfectly valid claim in breach of contract against those who do not pay or park at variance with their terms and conditions. The issue was that it was not very cost effective for them to sue. It still is not.

They used to sue almost nobody but they are becoming more aggressive now largely because they have lost control of the industry and can only regain it by suing those who don't pay. The chances that they will sue remain very low though so the risk is not great.

If they do sue, you can plead your case and may well win. If you don't win then you will only be liable for the sum of the fine plus about £25 in court costs and £55 in fixed solicitors costs. If you pay it off within 28 days of judgment then it will not show on your credit file.

You do have the option of putting them to proof on the adequacy of signs though. That may well succeed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That’s perfect thank you so much and cleared up my questions I will leave 5 star thank you

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/