John LLB
John LLB, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I was given a parking fine which has gone to court, if i

i was given a parking fine which has gone to court, if i appeal it but lose does this affect my credit rating?
JA: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: the fine has come from 'civil enforement ltd, Liverpool' via the 'county court business centre, northampton' the fine itself was given to me in chelmsford, essex
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: no its a document ordering me to pay the fine
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: it was in a '2 hour free car park' in my gym, i used the gym for 90minutes but forgot to put my number plate into the computer..
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, no if you pay off the amount within 28 days of judgement it will not go onto your credit file.

It is only if you still refuse to pay and it gets registered on your credit file; this is when it will affect your credit rating.

I hope I have helped. Please provide a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
do you think i have grounds for an appeal?

Was issued fine last year
Date of fine - 09/12/2018

The car park is the one in my local gym, you get '2 hours free parking' and is meant for gym users only

I parked for a total of 90 minutes.

When entering the gym i paid at the desk and was acknowledged by a member of staff who still confirms my use of the gym,

They are trying to fine me £257.04 when it was a free car park and i didn't go over the period of 2 hours

Yes absolutely. You forgot to input your number plate but that’s redundant seeing as the contractual terms are it is free for 2 hours. From their perspective because of the omission of the number plate they cannot tell how long you were there for. So it is up to you to prove you were just there for 90 mins. If you can do this, you have excellent grounds for appeal. Hope this helps, John.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
fantastic,

Thanks so much!

My pleasure. Please provide a positive rating and let me know if you need any more help with this. All the best, John.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sorry, lastly-

The letter i have even states
Time in - 10.30
Time out - 12.08

so roughly 98 minutes,

So even though the company knows i wasn't there for longer than 2 hours, they still see me as being liable to pay the fine due to not imputing my number plate on the computer once inside the gym..
I even wrote to the parking company explaining this and they still issued the fine,

I'm just worried that if i appeal i may lose and end up having to pay even more

If you lose the appeal you will be only be liable for the original fine and the court fees which is about £25. As stated, if this is paid off within 28 days of judgement then it will not appeal on your credit file. Regards, John

Use this template as your defence. You will obviously have to amend it to fit your own case but it is pretty robust and should help.