INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I have right of way to drive to my garage over my neighbours

I have right of way to drive to my garage over my neighbours land. He is erecting gates which includes our two cottages. I do not want the gates. However, presumably he is allowed to do this. What I am concerned about is that he wants to lock the gates every night. This means that nobody will be able to enter theses gates without a key. I am concerned about emergency services not being able to access my property if something happens during the night. Is he allowed to do this?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, I have only spoken to him re my concerns
Assistant: Where is the land located?
Customer: West Sussex
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t think so thank you

Thank you for your query. What do your deeds state regarding the access way?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That I have right of way to drive and walk to my property. Nothing else re access
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No phone call. Thank you

Does it give the access to anyone else or your your property for access to and from? Does it mention emergency vehicles?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Myself and the owner are the only people with access. It doesn’t mention emergency vehicles. The deeds are very old

If that is the case, then unfortunately, provided he gives you a set of keys so that you have access as and when required, this would be sufficient.

It may be worth you discussing the issue of emergency vehicles with the neighbour.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.