Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

A security guard tried to stop me leaving a car park by

Customer Question

Hi. A security guard tried to stop me leaving a car park by standing in front of my car because he said I was going the wrong way. When he refused to move I drove around him but he’s now saying I tried to run him over and he’s going to report me. It was recorded. What can the police do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

If it was recorded on a dash cam then I suppose it will show that you did not try to run him over in which case the police should not bring charges.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? Jo

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It was security cameras that recorded it but I haven't seen it but yes I agree. What could I be charged with potentially?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

I wouldn't worry about that. If his account is accepted then you could be charged with attempted S18 assault. Probably they would just charge dangerous driving though because it is easier to prove.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
That's pretty serious though isn't it I could go to prison for that couldn't I?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

You would go to prison for attempted S18. But since the recordings should exculpate you that won't happen. It is quite hard to prove anyway.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He walked in front of my car though and he was trying to obstruct me so how can that amount to me trying to run him down?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

That wouldn't amount to running him down.