Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was driving a coach, night, in the rain, and was unable to

Customer Question

I was driving a coach, night, in the rain, and was unable to stop the coach safely at a red light. I went over the white line, and because the coach was half way over the junction, split-second decided to continue. The traffic signal flashed, and I have been sacked from my job for being safe. Should I consider going to court to ask for leniency or is it not worth it? Thanks
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Were you on a straight road? Did you not see the amber light?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes, and of course I braked, but the road was wet and I was afraid of skidding. A coach is a very different thing. I was not overspeeding, and doing an emergency stop in a bus in the wet isn't advisable.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Am I unable to avoid this £44?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Ok, so you were driving too fast for the conditions.

An amber light is on for around 3 seconds.

You should always drive as per the road conditions.

As such you can go to Court. But you will get points and a fine.

The court has no discretion and must give you points.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Can I assist with anything else today?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.