Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I got a parking ticket for parking on private land. The

I got a parking ticket for parking on private land. The incident took place at night when it was dark and the no parking signs were not lit therefore did not realise I could not park there. Did they issue the ticket lawfully or can I appeal the ticket in court as they have issued proceedings against me.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: High wycombe Bucks
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Not as yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

what would you like to know please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Was I issued the ticket lawfully or do i have grounds to appeal it

This is a private land fine. There is a good of nonsense on the internet about private land fines. The truth is that they always did have a perfectly valid claim in breach of contract against those who do not pay or park at variance with their terms and conditions. The issue was that it was not very cost effective for them to sue. It still is not.

They used to sue almost nobody but they are becoming more aggressive now largely because they have lost control of the industry and can only regain it by suing those who don't pay. The chances that they will sue remain very low though so the risk is not great.

If they do sue, you can plead your case and may well win. If you don't win then you will only be liable for the sum of the fine plus about £25 in court costs and £55 in fixed solicitors costs. If you pay it off within 28 days of judgment then it will not show on your credit file.

You do have the option of putting them to proof on the adequacy of signs though. That may well succeed.

Alternatively, you can offer them £10 in full and final settlement. If they cash it then there is a pretty overwhelming argument that settles the claim.

Hi. I can call this evening? What time suits you?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
6 pm this evening is good