Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

But Europcar don’t seem to be interested. I am trying to get

But Europcar don’t seem to be interested. I am trying to get a refund of the ‘handling charge’ of £40 and they just want proof that I’ve paid it! So I’m guessing that if I don’t pursue that they are not interested in taking it further. Also when I went to email HX management their site couldn’t find my parking reference no so I’m assumeping they’ve dropped it as I have been told that being from overseas it is not cost effective to pursue it.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What is the background to this please?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
You should be able to see the original email. It concerns overseas residents position on parking fines in private car park, I didn’t discover I had been given one until about 6 weeks later when I checked my credit card and found Europcar had charged me a handling fee of £40. I had already left the UK. Car park concerned also has a faulty ticketing machine that owners refuse to fix & there have been many instances of people receiving fines despite buying a ticket. A class action was suggested & local MP has warned people not to use it.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
What I really would like to know whether the HX management can pursue me back home in Australia or when I return on holiday in the future?

Oh ok. What is your defence?

The other answer is wrong by the way.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I was not notified of the fine by Europcar and didn’t find out for about 6 weeks as I said but I do not have the ticket as you can imagine. I know I bought one as I had to enter the registration no in the machine, which apparently has been malfunctioning when one entered the numbers etc. it is well known by many that this is happening and there have been many people, who have successfully had their fines cancelled.
I have been told that HX management cannot pursue one after leaving the UK. Is this true? I did not realise I had this fine until 4 days ago as I’d received another one exactly a month before on 7/8 and thought the second notice had been issued as expiry date of first one had long passed when I first checked my cc card. This first fine was cancelled as I had a car breakdown and was stuck in another car park in same county. That fine cancelled fairly promptly by Europcar at end September. I had not checked the date of the second one closely enough & saw it was the on the 7th as well but turned out in different months! Sincerely Hope you’re not confused! thank you.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I’m off to bed now as I have to be at a Palliative care seminar tomorrow early & late here in Australia. many thanks.

I have been asked to look at this for you as it’s more my area.

To be honest, you are in Australia, I would suggest that you wrote back to the company and told them that you are in Australia and give them your address because to be honest it is simply not worth pursuing this on the other side of the world.

They can take it to court and get a judgement and even if they do, with all the other charges, it is not worth pursuing halfway round the world because the cost of pursuing it is going to be more than the amount of money they are trying to collect.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thank you Stuart. That’s really what I thought the advice would be.

I am glad to help. Kind regards.