John LLB
John LLB, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I had a PCN from Croydon council, I received it late due to

I had a PCN from Croydon council, I received it late due to the post and as I had no internet access at the time I sent a cheque for the reduced amount a day or two late. I didn't hear anything for about two weeks and now they are telling me I need to pay an extra £65 on top of the £130 for the full fine. I have already paid them £65 by the cheque and only think I should have to pay the full amount of the fine, (another £65) because of the delay in them letting me know I had missed the discounted price.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No I just got a charge certificate saying if I don't pay w2ithin 14
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I just got a charge certificate saying if I don't pay within 14 days bailiffs may be issued with a warrant to recover the debt

Hello welcome to Just Answer.

Are you asking if there’s a way to not pay ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No to only pay the £130 full amount of the fine, not the extra charge certificate surcharge
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please don't phone me
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's not worth the money
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm trying to save £65
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can't afford an additional £44 for a phone call
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I need to cancel the call as I didn't see the charge for it when I agreed to a phone call
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you see they gave me no opportunity to pay the full fine without the additional charge certificate surcharge

It’s a fine from the council so unfortunately there isn’t a legal way to not pay the surcharge as that is only given when payment is late. Outside of them agreeing with you; the only way to not pay it is if the matter went to court and you provided good reason why you didn’t pay on time and your reason was accepted. Of course going to court would incur more costs so that is risk in itself and should only be done if you are confident of being successful. My suggestion to you is to call them to explain the situation and advise you are willing to pay the £130 full charge and give reasons why the £65 surcharge is unwarranted. Hopefully they will agree with you.

The phone call comes up automatically I have no control over it. But please leave a positive rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you, John.