John LLB
John LLB, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I was recently involved in a small accident in a car park

Hi - I was recently involved in a small accident in a car park where having turning into a parking space, having checked I was clear in my mirrors (& reversing sensors were quiet) I started to reverse in order to straighten the car up. A car following me in the car park hit my back nearside bumper, right on the corner damaging my light cluster and scrapping the bumper as well as their front nearside fog light & bumper. The driver & I got out and exchanged names, addresses etc and they said they hadn't seen me reversing. Will an insurer assess this as their fault, my fault or 50/50? Thanks
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: In the United Kingdom......I thought this was a UK site?
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello welcome to Just Answer. I am just reviewing your question and will provide a response shortly.
Please just be aware this is not a chat service so there may be delays in responding.

Hello I am afraid to say that will be classed as a fault claim for you. The reason being the onus is on the reversing party to ensure their path is clear.

Sorry this is not the news you wanted to hear. I would be grateful if you could please leave a positive rating. Thank you, John.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the response. Just to be clear, even if the other party is in motion and hits the side of the reversing vehicle the reversing party is at fault (ie the path was clear as I started reversing)? Thanks again

Yes, unfortunately it’s how it would be seen.