John LLB
John LLB, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I got careless driving latter from police

Customer Question

Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I was visiting my friends home the her home front road was so narrow with both side parking n only 1 car go or come so 1 car came from front so I had to reverse it to give them the way
I reversed the car in 10 or less than 10 speed as there was on one on the street so I am failed yo understand how it was called careless driving
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
While reverseing the car my car back touched with some statinory parked car with no pasaanger inside in that car. It may or may have not even got a minor skreach on there car I am not aware but is it comes under careless driving
Expert:  John LLB replied 8 days ago.

Hello welcome to the site.
Please note this is not a chat service so there may be delays in responding.

Can you elaborate and explain what your question is in relation to careless driving? What would you like to know legally ?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I want to know as I don't think it was the careless driving but got latter from police so what should I do now they asked to fill the from with driving licence information n send them back
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can you advice me little bit here
Expert:  John LLB replied 8 days ago.

You do not have to accept the charge but you must complete the form and then dispute it.
However I must warn you, with careless driving, you hit another vehicle and legally it is seen as you driving below the standard expected of a reasonable and prudent driver therefore you have been careless / reckless. It is the reason you received the charge so if you wish to dispute it you’ll need to advise why you dispute it. From what you have said it will be difficult to absolve yourself of this charge. I’m sorry this is not what you wanted to hear but I have a duty to be honest with you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for your reply, I may touched the other parked vicheal with speed less than 10 mph which didn't harm anyone so how it can be called careless driving, as this minor thing can happen with anyone while during normally, so why I can't take stand on this
Expert:  John LLB replied 8 days ago.

Hi I agree with you, the speed doesn’t really matter it is more so the action of driving without due care and attention but technically it does fall under careless driving. I agree with you that it is minor , but you have been unfortunate really. There is nothing stopping you trying to defend the matter though but just do so with the inherent risk that if you lost you may get fined more.