Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I'm being chased by a debt collection agency for a driving

Hi, I'm being chased by a debt collection agency for a driving offence which allegedly happened in Italy over 5 years ago, and there's been no previous correspondence. Is this really still enforceable?
JA: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: I literally had a "Notice Of Personal Visit" letter come through the door today
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No, they are just demanding payment of £381, the creditor is the City of Florence Police.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't even been to Italy!!!

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I am currently out of my office travelling and working from my laptop. I will therefore be unable to speak to you, but another legal expert may pick up your enquiry.

If you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

To enable me to answer your query, please provide me with some further information.

What is the debt recovery company called?

Where are they based?

Have you informed them that you have never been to Italy?

The debt could relate to someone else who lived at your address and committed the offence in Italy.

Or it could be a total scam.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Ed, thanks for your reply. The debt recovery company are “CLI International Debt Collectors” in Faversham Kent. I have emailed them, asking for more information and then informing after looking up who the creditor was that I have never been to Italy. I have had no reply, I emailed them yesterday afternoon and as yet have not had a reply. If this is genuine and not a scam my details have obviously been given (fraudulently) when ever the offence occurred.
Now my question to you is, how do I deal with the debt collector when they come knocking at my door?”
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not need a phone call, thanks. This is pretty straight forward. Can a debt collector really recover a debt which allegedly took place in another country?

Yes, a foreign company may instruct a UK law firm to pursue monies they allege are owed to them bu a UK company or person.

However, I have done some research online and CLI appear to be a scam company:

https://www.getoutofdebtfree.org/cli-international-debt-collectors/

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/400911-cli-international-chasing-swedishfinnish-debts/

The best you can do is reply to them by post and email denying the debt for the reasons given and refusing to enter into further correspondence. The onus will be on their client to issue court proceedings against you and serve these on you.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your help Ed, very much appreciated.