How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 1946
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I was recently involved in an accident at fault and

This answer was rated:

I was recently involved in an accident at fault and contacted my insurance to file a claim and have my car repaired at their approved garage. Between dropping off the car and the accident, I was driving it for 60miles on the motorway each day for a week without issues. After they examined the car they gave what I believe an inflated repair quote of 3700GBP. They also deemed it unroadworthy. The value of the car was deemed 4300. Now the insurance calls the car a total loss and doesn't allow me to drive it as it is unroadworthy. I haven't been given the engineer's report which I asked for but instead a letter from the insurance company which I attach. I dispute the write off and unroadworthyness but in the mean time I'm being inconvenienced and losing money from the non use of my car. How can I challenge the unroadworthyness and write off? What is your advice?Thank you
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: No
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No


Am sorry to hear about the situation.

Given you are entitled to a service performed with reasonable care and skill I suggest you remind the insurance of your rights under the consumers rights act 2015.

Then notify them to provide a copy of the engineer report ASAP

Documents used to value your vehicle too.

Do you understand what I have stated if yes I will proceed to the next step

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not entirelyI've asked in writing for the engineer's report yet received no reply. They told me the value of the car is calculated using glass guide.Which part of the consumers rights act are you referring to?


Section 49 is the relevant part please see below

I suggest you file a complaint with the complaints department on the basis of poor service given. Further I suggest you request their final position in writing if they refuse to consider your position. Once you receive the letter I suggest you consider filling a complaint with the financial ombudsman who can step in to resolve such dispute

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

However if I have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future


In the event you do receive the engineer report do you know what you intend to do with it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not really no
It would help me assess whether the vehicle is worth repairing or replacing. But in terms of fighting my corner against the insurance no I dont

I suggest you review carefully and obtain a second opinion from another reputable car repairer. Ensure you obtain the opinion in writing if it supports your position. Once you have this attach it to you complaint to fight your corner.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know

Anthony Chendo and 2 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you