Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I want to ask about the consequences of a bald tyre or even

hi i want to ask about the consequences of a bald tyre or even 2 bald tyres on an insurance claim and also if i must provide dashcam footage to the insurer if requested?
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: i am on justanswer.co.uk so i am in the uk
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: do you cover uk law?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes do you cover uk law?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Sorry for the delay.

What was the collision please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, can you confirm you are referring to uk law please? My wife went off the road with my car she was a named driver fully covered. The car is a write off. The car may have had one or even two bald tyres, will this affect the insurance claim? Also do i have to provide the dashcam footage or can i refuse? She was doing 70 in a 60mph.
thanks

Yes, I'm in the UK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi what's your thoughts on my questions please?

Thanks very much for the information.

A lot depends on whether the condition of the tyres contributed to the accident. Currently, the legal limit for tread depth is 1.6 mm In a continuous band around the central three-quarter is of the tyre.
The limit used to be 1 mm.

However a tyre doesn’t suddenly become dangerous when the tread depth is 1.5 mm.

There is commentary that on a dry road the tread makes very little difference whereas on a wet road it can make an awful lot of difference. Bear in mind that the tread grooves carry away water so the road is damp, rather than wet, the tread depth may not even be a contributing factor to an accident.

So what is central to this is whether the tread depth was a contributing factor to an accident.

There is another issue here and that is that the majority of policies have a condition that the car must be in roadworthy condition and it had two illegal tyres, then it is not in roadworthy condition and the insurance company will always try to worm their way out of paying.

If you believe that the tyres were not a contributing factor and the insurance company will not pay out, then make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

You need a forensic accident investigator and/or tyre specialist to give you a report if it supports the point of view that the condition of the tyres was not a contributing factor.
If you have camera footage and they know that you have camera footage they can apply to court to make you disclose it. If you are using it to help you, then you will need to disclose it in good time in any event.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for that. What about doing 70 in a 60 regarding the claim?

That may be a contributing factor I'm afraid.

There is no way around that.

Speed would increase danger although it is not enormous.