How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aaron D Your Own Question
Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 572
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Aaron D is online now

I got a NIP 172 yesterday to name the driver which was

Customer Question

Hi, I got a NIP 172 yesterday to name the driver which was myself for sppeding 41 mph in a 30 zone, this road in question has gone from 40 to 30 on the 13th April, i had not travelled on the road for nearly 5 months due to covid lockdown etc.... I beleive the signage was is not coirrect as from where i joined the road there was no indication of speed limit ie a sigbn until approx 520 meteres after I have passed first average speed chechk camera. I have prepared a map with photos of the route and the signage in question if you would like me to email it over to you,.
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: This is in Coventry, England.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: no not yet as I have not declered who the driver is. but I may if I think I have a genuine case on icorrect signage
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Aaron D replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Aaron D replied 1 year ago.

Firstly, whether you have committed an offence or not you have to fill in the 172 notice. It is a legal requirement to reply to the notice, if you don't do it in time you get 6 points and a fine.

In terms of the signage. I'd be gobsmacked if the signage wasn't adequate as that would be very rare indeed. It doesn't matter whether you saw the sign or not, the question is whether there is a sign showing the speed limit.

There are a lot of rumours on the internet about the types of signage but a lot of the laws about this aren't applicable anymore.

By all means show me the photos/map and I'll take a look.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to see if the signage is correct first, I have made notes and photos of what is in question
Expert:  Aaron D replied 1 year ago.

Can you post the photos?