How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 80477
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hope you are well. Someone I know got stopped by police the

This answer was rated:

Hello, hope you are well. Someone I know got stopped by police the other day for speeding. There are a few questions I would like to ask regarding this.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What can I do for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, someone I know got stopped my police the other day from speeding he gave his dad's name who is insuranced on the car but gave a different date of birth. I wanted to know what may happen. Or what should he do now? Will police find out from DVLA as in will they find out the date of birth doesn't match or will they just send a letter a letter as the officer told him he will get send a letter as it was excessive speed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to know what may happen or what should he do now? Just wanted to know a bit more information on what to do.

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the information.

Obviously he may get away with it entirely.

But the chances are fairly high that the police will just send a conditional fixed penalty offer or a court summons out in the name of the person they have been given.

Whether or not that leads to his dad contesting this matter is something that only he will know really.

Unless his Dad does that though they may never identify that he has done this unless a police officer can recognise him and he would have to know him quite well to do that.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was being recorded by the police via the video camera and he is insured to drive the car but panicked and gave his dad's name instead of his but a different date of birth.. do you think the police will contact DVLA to confirm if the name given has a driving licence or if it's the correct date of birth?

No, I don't think they will do that.

I think they will just send out the summons to his Dad.

They might very well have him on the BWF but they have to identify him in person.

If he wants to avoid this, he can always go to a station and declare himself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cause of the date of birth do you think they will find out that he has given false details as his dad and his age difference is a big big gap and he lives with his dad as well.. also when and if they send out the summons won't the police write the date of birth that he supplied them with and when they ask to send the licence it will be a different date of birth ? My friend is really worried and does not want to to to the station as they might arrest him what could you advise? And what do you think will happen from your point of view? Are you familiar with these types of cases? Is there a good chance my friend will get away or is there more or chance of him getting caught? I could explain the whole story if you want if that would help more? Thank you

No. I don't think that.

I think they will just send out the enforcement to his dad.

this will come to light if his dad raises the alarm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry could you clarify what you mean by enforcement and what you mean by if his dad raises the alarm;?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you advice my friend to do at the moment. Cause he's panicking and worried. In your point of view what may happen ?

What will happen is that they will send the summons to his Dad.

I would advise him to go and hand himself in and admit it. They will prosecute him for no insurance, speeding and maybe obstructing a police officer but that is a lot better than perverting the course of justice which is what could happen worst case scenario if he is found out without a confession.

Worst case scenario tends not to be the outcome but he might want to know the risk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has insurance, would they arrest him if he was going to go himself to the station? Ok so you are 100 percent sure that they won't check the date of birth up with the DVLA or anyone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The full story is basically about a week ago he was doing excessive speed and the police pulled him over asked him for his details in which he gave his dad's name but a different date of birth so the officer told him that a letter will be sent to the house probably for summons to court now what he wants to know is that what is the next step the police does? Will they not go to the station or with DVLA and check up the date of birth doesn't match his dad's date of birth which is on his dad's licence and that there is a big age gab. So you think they won't find out with the date of birth. Just want to know the next procedure of what happens now. Does that mean anyone can just give dad's name and different date of birth and there won't be any checks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happened in Birmingham about a week ago

No, I can't be 100% sure obviously but it wouldn't be normal practice.

I would expect them to just send a summons in his dad's name with the date of birth given.

They will just correct the date of birth at court.

No guarantees obviously. But that is what I would expect.

Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you