How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 80437
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I’ve had a NIP in the post for 97mph in a 60mph. 8pm at

This answer was rated:

Hi, I’ve had a NIP in the post for 97mph in a 60mph. 8pm at night with no traffic on the road. No excuses for what I done. I have a clean license with no points. I’ve had my license 7 years as of the 17th of this month (June)
I heavily depend on my license for my line of work. If I loose my license I will simply loose my job as my job can the done with out driving as I travel all over the uk and globe to carry out service work to my companies machinery. I understand I can potentially get a brief ban or points or both?
What would be best for me to opt for as I can probably have enough time off work for a 14-21day ban. Any longer and I fear I’ll loose my job. If I receive to many points I again, may loose my job. I’m so scared at the thoughts of this and the outcome.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: i believe i will, ive only had the NIP today which is the first letter ive recieved regarding the incident
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no dont think so

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Are you asking what the likely sentence would be? Sorry about your situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am, and if you had any advice on what i could do to lessen that outcome. i cannot work with out my license
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
typing is easier for me please

Thank you.

If this is 97 in a 60 mph zone then you are in the highest bracket which would attract either 6 points or a short ban. A short ban might be better but I’m afraid you don’t get the choice. That is for the bench. You can always ask obviously.

If you receive 6 points you will be a totter.

You do need representation really but you don’t need to use a solicitor which will be fairly expensive. A barrister under public access is much cheaper and perfect of this type of hearing.

You do have the option of asking the bench not to disqualify you on the basis that you will suffer exceptional hardship.

Exceptional hardship is a high test though and you do have the burden of proof. It means more than mere inconvenience. We would all suffer inconvenience if we couldn't drive but that isn't the same thing as exceptional hardship.

The place to start is to get confirmation from your employers than you would lose your job without a licence.

If they won't go that far then you need to prove why it is impossible to do your job by public transport. That might mean gathering bus and train timetables and a log of your monthly movements so show why it cannot be done. If it can be done but it is disproportionately expensive then you need to cost the journeys and establish why it would cost more than you earn which is simple enough by producing your income records.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what would exceptional hardship include? i wouldnt be able to do my job by public transport as customers are all over the country, some in the countryside some in cities. some in other countries. as for a barrister under public access, what are they and where would i find them?
i really am new to all of this.

You need to get a list of your last months jobs and show why you can't do the job by public transport with reference to train plans. It is a lot of work.

Loss of job of itself isn't normally sufficient but you have to show it would impact upon others; family members for instance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks for your help. i will do this now.
as for a barrister under public access, what are they and where would i find them?
i really am new to all of this.

Where are you roughly in the country? I could make some referrals?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
kettering northamptonshire

You are really left with the London bar then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that a website or a physical location?

No, the London Chambers.



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your help

No problem.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C. and 2 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you