Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
108775951

My daughter has received a couple of penalty tickets on a

my daughter has received a couple of penalty tickets on a car park nearby a friends lodgings in ormskirk. Naively she believed the initial tickets was a warning ticket as she had been informed that the area does not penalise. She again recieved a further ticket and due to lockdown she she has completely forgot about these fines. She resides in Ormskirk normally as she is studying at Edghill university so has not received any reminders regarding these. However she has returned to her family address a couple of weeks ago and discovered when opening her mail that she has been threatened with court for non payment. She has telephoned the solicitor who is dealing with this now and was extremely upset by his manner as he stated she was required to pay this in full or she will be instructed to attend court. The total payable now is approximately £650. This includes 2 previous penalties that I occured when I was driving her vehicle. I was parked on a college car park, where I was working at the time. I didn't have my permit displayed but discussed this at the time with relevant agencies so I wasn't required to pay this. Could you please advise whether it would be acceptable for her to offer a sum of £10 per month to pay the solicitor?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: The ridings St Helens road Ormskirk, Lancs, L39 4QJ
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Not yet but they are threatening to do so
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't think so

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

Can you give me a breakdown as to how much each of the "fines" are and an additional costs they have added onto them.

You can come to an arrangement for payment, I doubt they will accept £10 per month for a £650 total.

You can offer to pay the cost of the fines only as the costs are not recoverable unless they take you to court.

If they want to take you to court then it will cost them a lot of money so often they will accept any reasonable offers. However, they will normally require payment in one go if they agree to take any smaller sum.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tickets are for £160 x5 the first 2 are dated 22/11/2017 and 9/04/2018( these 2 were mine for not displaying my work permit) I resolved these at the time and have not heard any since until my daughter twang regarding the current 3). The current 3 as stated earlier she naively believed they were initially warning notices. She has been informed that she needs to pay the earliest fines first in instalments, and have accepted £100 per month which she cannot afford.