Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hope you're well. I have received a conditional offer of

Customer Question

Hello, hope you're well. I have received a conditional offer of fixed penalty from the met police for speeding in early January. From what I understand, as this is my first driving offence, I should have been offered the opportunity to go on a speed awareness course or am I incorrect? I did not receive any letter or warning or anything.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Bromley, South East London
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No, if I accept the fixed penalty
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 days ago.

How can I help?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 days ago.

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

I’m afraid you don’t have any right to demand the speed awareness course. Nobody does. They do not exist in law actually. They are no more than a police disposal in order to divert cases away from court to reduce the pressure upon them.

It is rather unfortunate that you weren’t offered it but they don’t have to.

The only challenge that could be brought is to judicially review the decision not to offer you a conditional fixed penalty on the basis of Wednesbury unreasonableness but that is a high test and it would be expensive. It could not be done for less than a thousand.

Also, they would argue that it could not be done because of the public health emergency.

You can always write back asking for it. Anybody can ask anything.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.