How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aaron D Your Own Question
Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 443
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Aaron D is online now

My son has received a court date for a drug driving incident

This answer was rated:

my son has received a court date for a drug driving incident in January , is it worth seeing a solicitor to help him out
JA: What steps has your son taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?
Customer: we only got the court letter a few days ago
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does your son live in?
Customer: margate , Kent
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
File attached (2G371L4)
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The year of his vehicle is incorrect on the offence working ? It says 2017 when it should say 2007

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

It depends how badly he needs his licence. If he is convicted he will likely receive a driving ban and a fine.

If he intends to plead guilty then a solicitor/barrister can attend and put forward mitigation to keep the ban/fine as low as possible but he can attend and put forward his own mitigation.

If he intends to plead not-guilty then it is best he does instruct a solicitor.

It is quite hard to avoid a conviction for drug driving, he'd need a defence. E.g. he wasn't driving or there is some reason why the drug testing wasn't correct. There are procedural issues you can take such as if the correct procedures for taking blood were followed however in my experience they rarely work.

If he wants to instruct a solicitor to go through all the papers and speak with him then they can advise whether there is any potential defence. There are "specialist" road traffic solicitors you can find on Google who promise the earth but in my experience they aren't actually very good and often overcharge.

You get better value for money by simply instructing a local criminal solicitor. You can find one here:

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.

In terms of the year of the car, no that won't make a difference unless you are saying there was some form of incorrect identification of the driver. I presume the driver was tested at the roadside in which case the incorrect year of the car is irrelevant.


Aaron D and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you , so if tells the judge that he hasn’t touched since and has a full time job which he needs to drive to etc would that help or can he offer to go a drug driving rehabilitation course ?

Those are mitigating factors and might persuade the Magistrates to keep the ban short. Some form of driving ban is inevitable though.

He can offer to go onto a drug driving course voluntarily but there is no official course available from the court like there is with driving whilst over the alcohol limit.