james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I received 2 fines for driving in a bus lane. The offence

I received 2 fines for driving in a bus lane. The offence only happened once but I received 2 fines that were 26 seconds apart. Surely this is not legal? How can I be charged twice for the same offence?

Hello I will assist.

it is possible for this to happen. Two different cameras could have caught you committing the offence or two different officers, or a combination of the two. If you remain in a lane where you should not be, and different cameras catch you, the each one is a separate offence.

However, as the time was so close together, you can appeal against the second one claiming that the timing was so close after the first, that they are one and the same and that the second matter should not have been issued,

Can I assist further? Here to help if I can.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok thanks. So how far appart would they need to be then to be rightly considered separate offenses?

There really is no time difference or location, Anywhere with camera after camera is prime for repeated tickets.

it is just a matter of someone taking the time to challenge it. Many don’t bother and end up paying 2,3,4 tickets in a row.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok, thanks very much.