MARCUS Malin
MARCUS Malin,
Experience:  Consultant Solicitor at Setfords
66642005

I have just received an NIP for a speeding offence the

Hi I have just received an NIP for a speeding offence the offence is dated 01/02/2020 and the letter is dated as sent 29/06/2020 is this normal 5 months after the offence
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: it was in Northamptonshire sent by the Northamptonshire Police Safer Roads Team
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: it is a Notice of Intended Prosecution asking to name driver of vehicle I am the registered keeper
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i was the driver but it was virtually 5 months ago and was wondering if it is valid

Hello, my name is Marcus.

Were you pulled over or was it a fixed camera?

Are you living at the same property to which the car is registered at the DVLA.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I wasn’t pulled over and I do live at the registered address it was a mobile camera van I believe
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Email is fine

That being the case you should respond challenging the charge on the basis that you did not receive the Notice of Intended Prosecution within 14 days.

The only exemptions to the above rule is if you are pulled over and warned at the roadside or it has taken them time to find you due to an incorrect address at the DVLA.

Clearly neither applies to you so as I say you should challenge.

NB no need for a call the request was automated.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you for your advice

You are most welcome.