Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I plead guilty by post and i've got court hearing the 12th

Customer Question

Hello i plead guilty by post and i've got court hearing the 12th of October after as been update from August for Covid 19 measure. On the previous notice it was specified: you do not need to attend on this date. On the letter i receive today is specified to attend this hearing to plead or show proof. Do i need to attend as i'm working on that day in school and actually i plead by post. Case is based on section 143 road traffic act and schedule 2. Part iv of the road traffic Act. What will be the maximum penalty if i not attend that court hearing. Thanks
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Why weren't you given the fixed penalty? Do you know?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Thanks for the information

This would normally carry 6points and a fine in the low hundreds plus costs of £85

They do not usually summonsif they can offer the fixed penalty although that may depend on the view of thelocal constabularies. They are quitedisparate.

There is an outside chanceof a ban but not a high one.

Hopefully, Ihave answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Ifanything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. Inthe meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
However i'm sending to the court a letter to specified that i want be able to attend the hearing.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Isn't this is a single justice notice procedure anyway?

If you are summonsed to attend then you will need a really good reason for not attending. This is a summons not an invitation.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But in this case why I shouldn't attend before and now they want?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Probably because they are considering a disqualification.

That doesnt mean you would be disqualified but you might.

If you don't attend, with no better reason than the general Covid objection, there will be consequences for that I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm a key worker as teacher and I'm the only one is working at moment in the family. What consequences can occur? Can they force me? on the notice I received is written the court will deal in case of absence.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 days ago.

You could be prosecuted for contempt but most likely they would just deal with the case in absence and make you pay costs of trial