Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Advocate
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I have today received a bailiff letter requesting me to pay

I have today received a bailiff letter requesting me to pay £512 for an unpaid fine over 12 months old. The issue I have is that after discussing with the bailiff the council have been sending all the demands from the inception of the fine to an incorrect address hence I knew nothing about it until the Bali’s found the correct address through the dvla. I don’t know what I can do
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. I would advise that you write a letter to the council to explain the situation. You should also ask for an repayment plan in accordance to what you can afford. If the amount is alot more then what should have been initially paid the council may put the amount back to its initial value based on the circumstances. You should ask them to do this. You should attach evidence such as proof of address and the date you moved into the address. I hope this helps and wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. I would appreciate if you give me a five star rating for answering your question. All the best.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi just to be clear the address they sent it to isn’t one I have ever lived at. It’s a house In the same street but the wrong number they have been sending it to. Do they have to reduce back to the original payment request under the circumstances?

Hi, thank you for your message. Based on what you have stated they should reduce the payment back to the original amount. I hope this helps and wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. I would appreciate if you give me a five star rating for answering your question. All the best.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you and I will