How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John LLB Your Own Question
John LLB
John LLB, Solicitor
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 1385
Experience:  8 years legal experience
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
John LLB is online now

I've just received a letter from dcb legal for a parking

Customer Question

I've just received a letter from dcb legal for a parking charge from 2016 the problem that I have is the car was registered at my old address so any tickets that might of come through I've never seen.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: stadium retail park, Wembley
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that i had a few of these come through the post a couple of years ago and i paid a couple and was assured there were no more showing on the system but clearly they were wrong
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  John LLB replied 5 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  John LLB replied 5 days ago.

Hello thanks for your message. What advice are you seeking today please?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'm wanting some advice on what i need to do regarding the letter I got today about a parking charge that I apparently got 4 years ago. The letter was from a solicitor saying I owe £330. I received some of these a couple of years ago which i paid was assured there were no more on the system that I would have to pay and now this has come through
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
not really as i signed up for a weeks trial and have already paid
Expert:  John LLB replied 5 days ago.

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Expert:  John LLB replied 5 days ago.

You have received a letter from an in house solicitor for the parking company about the charges. 4 years is a long time ago, do you even recall this alleged contravention? Were the ones you paid before from the same company/solicitor who assured you there was no more on the system?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I don't remember them being from the same solicitor although it was a while ago. I did work in the area and used the retail park a few times for Mc donald etc.. On the letter the company who they are representing also appears to be different from the previous one
Expert:  John LLB replied 5 days ago.

£330 for one charge is excessive. You should ask for a breakdown of the charges. They have no legal basis to charge you the excess amount as they are merely invoices as opposed to fines. Normally with these private companies, they do have a claim for breach of contract but only to recover monies they have lost and not for excessive amounts. Inform the solicitor you refuse to pay such an excessive amount put them to strict proof of the alleged offence.

If you cannot arrive at a more reasonable figure to settle i.e. whatever the original charge was, then you should look to defend the matter. This may mean they will have to issue court proceedings, this is the only way for them to recover the funds. It is unlikely they will as it isn’t cost effective for them to do so, as cost of court proceedings is more than what they can recover but some companies do issue and if this is the case, then you’ll need to ensure you defend the matter.

Unfortunately it is too late to appeal now through the correct procedures as it has been such a long time, so your options are to pay or defend it. If you defend it, then as stated ask the for proof it was you, ask them for a breakdown, make them justify their claim. If they cannot, I would suggest you defend the matter at court.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks for your help,Regards,Saul
Expert:  John LLB replied 5 days ago.

My pleasure, I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day