JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Only for Solicitor. Yesterday you explained me that I have

Only for Ross Miller Solicitor.
Yesterday you explained me that I have to attend the hearing which I did not want to attend because at this time I am going to be in different country. May I ask if I can add the cost of the travel to my case? And if I can then how it better to do it to avoid the Defendant's obgection that they did not ask me to travel?

Hi, this is Jim, thank you for the question - I will resolve this for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue. I note there is a case management conference (CMC) in your civil claim which you are involved with. The judge asks the parties for their comments on the directions and dates - including exchange of witness evidence and disclosure of documents. If you are the claimant, you can claim costs as a result of the defendant's conduct which led to you suing them. The CMC usually takes place over the telephone or in person - if in person then it may be at the defendant's home county court (the claim is usually transferred to the defendant's home court as they did not ask to be sued). If you are going to be in a different country when the hearing goes ahead, you should write the court a letter to confirm. You could instruct a lawyer to attend it for you - either of these companies can provide you with an advocate to do the hearing for you : http://www.clerksroomdirect.com or http://www.lpc-law.co.uk

I hope this helps and answers the question - please feel free to ask me anything else.

Have a good day,
Jim

Hi, I’m just checking to see if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or address anything else for you.

Many thanks,
Jim

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
1. "you can claim costs as a result of the defendant's conduct which led to you suing them". I won a few cases and at the end the Judge asked me how much I payed travel expences. Will he accept the cost of the flight as such?
2. "If you are going to be in a different country when the hearing goes ahead, you should write the court a letter to confirm". What would I write this letter for? What can I ask the Court to do?
3. "You could instruct a lawyer to attend it for you". I think it will cost much more than a flight which costs about £500 there and back.

Hi, yes, there is no reason why not - if you don't ask then you won't be able to claim it back. You should include the cost of the flight. If you have legal representation (an advocate to do the hearing) then the hearing can still go ahead and you wouldn't need to write to the court. If you do not instruct a lawyer then you need to write to the court to tell them you are unable to attend the hearing - you could ask for it to be done by telephone and not in person, that way you could attend the hearing from abroad. If not then the court will make an order in your absence which could jeopardise your case, the worst-case is the judge strikes out the claim. A lawyer to attend a hearing would probably be between £300 and £500 depending who you use.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
OK. I think the best way will be to write a letter describing the situation and ask the Court to make a phone hearing or to add the travel cost to the case. Is it correct?
If you remember initiallywhen I made the previous question, I asked you if I could to write kind of letter to the Court and you said I just have 1 option to attend the hearing :-)

Yes, you can write to the court and you should contact the court by telephone after a few days of the letter - to ensure they have your letter and to ask if a judge has dealt with it.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks!