Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My mum had a personalised number plate but then took it off

My mum had a personalised number plate but then took it off the car and thinks she paid the £80 to secure it but cannot find any documents to confirm this. how do I find out about the number plate ownership

Hi thank you for your message, I appreciate this is important to you so I will endeavour to give you a quick but clear answer. Please note this is not a chat service so responses may not be instantaneous. The right to use a private number plate needs to be renewed every 10 years and if not renewed then the right to use the number plate is permanently lost. As you can see here: https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/renew-private-number-certificate

I therefore, recommend you contact the DVLA and ask them to look into the registration to see if it is still registered. You can contact the Driving Licence Enquiries number: 0300(###) ###-#### Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm, Saturdays, 8am to 4pm.

Hi thank you for your message, I appreciate this is important to you so I will endeavour to give you a quick but clear answer. Please note this is not a chat service so responses may not be instantaneous.