How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 7850
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

We moved house and didn’t update our car’s log book as we

Customer Question

We moved house and didn’t update our car’s log book as we were completely unaware of the need to do this. Our driving licenses we changed at the time we moved. My wife has has the bailiffs on chasing her for an unpaid driving penalty but this was the first time we were aware of any issue as the fine was sent to the old address. When we viewed the evidence we discovered the number plate does not relate to our car as they mistook a ‘m’ for an ‘n’. The violation occurred in London and we have never visited there by car. However, nobody seems to want to listen and my wife is getting very stressed at the thought of the fine increasing and bailiffs coming to visit. Should we pay it and fight it from there somehow?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: We’re based in Stockport the penalty notice was issued by Haringey council
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Not at this stage no, there is a £270+ fine to pay
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I don’t think so
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Number plate in the evidence photo is DK62 UMV but our car is DK62 UNV.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 12 days ago.


I am a solicitor.

You should simply send them a letter saying that the vehicle is not yours and explain that your vehicle has a different number plate.

You should not pay the fine.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The first picture is not our vehicle, number plate DK62 UMV. The fine has been issued in error to DK62 UNV which is vehicle.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 12 days ago.

In that case, you should not pay the fine as it does not relate to your vehicle. There is no if and but about it.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. My wife’s concern is that she did not update the log book and we could get in to deeper trouble due to this. It is now updated.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 12 days ago.

No need to worry about it. It was an honest mistake.

All the best

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Appreciate your help, thank you
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 12 days ago.

You are welcome.