How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Advocate
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 2255
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

Police came to my house saying I'd left the scene of an

Customer Question

Police came to my house saying I'd left the scene of an accident. I wasn't aware a car had hit the rear of my van until they came. My van has no marks on it, the other vehicle is a write off. I didn't hear a bang or feel a shunt. If I had I would have stopped I'm insured have no points. I'm going to a voluntary interview but what will happen next? I've just got a job I need to drive to will I lose my license? Thanks!
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Nottingham
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Not at the moment, I've just been asked to attend a voluntary interview at the moment
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm when is the interview?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Haven't heard yet
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. Again I am sorry to hear about your situation. I would strongly advise that you instruct a solicitor to represent you. Moreover, you should not attend any interview with the police without a solicitor present.

The solicitor will be able to weigh all the evidence before them and help you build a strong case. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you. You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here: You can find a legal aid solicitor by using this link: Legal aid is free assistance to people who cannot afford to pay legal fees such as legal advice and proceedings. You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) ( For more information please visit: CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments. Moreover, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/contacting a LawWorks Clinic. A probono lawyer is a free lawyer. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website:

You can also find other means of getting help with legal fees using this link: I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!