Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

What is the national speed limit please, No.. Just received

Hi, what is the national speed limit please
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: No.. Just received a notice of intended prosecution
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Not jet but been driving 59mph
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. Just need to understand why. As I thought it is 60mph
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (M64V7M2)

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

May I confirm that the section of road you were travelling on was subject to national speed limit please as opposed to a specified speed limit indicated by the limit within a red circle?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The speed through the Pimperne is 30 and after that that 30 sign is crossed. And there is road with no signs till next village which is 50. The camera car was in between the two villages with no other signs. As me and anyones to whom we asked saying you can drive 60 on that road..
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I attach the letter what my friend received

Thank you. The relevant law imposing speed limits is the somewhat aptly named "70 miles per hour, 60 miles per hour and 50 miles per hour (Temporary Speed Limit) Order 1977" which was made permanent by the The 70 miles per hour, 60 miles per hour and 50 miles per hour (Temporary Speed Limit) (Continuation) Order 1978

The former curiously does not appear to be available on the governments legislation website - at least not that I can see but I attach it for your ease of reference. The latter can be found here:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1978/1548/article/2/made

The orders provide that a speed limit of 60 miles per hour will apply for lengths of single carriage road not otherwise signposted with a lower speed (which can be imposed by local authorities) except for certain specified roads set out in schedule 1 of the Order.

I assume (though have not confirmed that in practiced these specified roads are signposted though I also assume that not of the specified roads are the road in question.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Oh.. That's mean it is 50 mph on that road..
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'm so confused.

This is one of the roads specified in the order as being 50 mph?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don't know.. But then if its 50 why there need to a sign 50 if it is*****through

So to be clear it is 60 mph on a single carriage road not otherwise specified unless the road is one listed in schedule 1.

I confess I do not know if the roads listed on schedule 1 are specifically signposted as lower. Strictly speaking they do not have to be but I would find it extraordinary if they were not as I suspect there is barely a person in the country that would have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the contents of that order. In deed I imagine only a fairly small minority would even know of the order specifically.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What you would suggest my friend to do.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I can't add more pictures.. I wanted to show you on the Google map the place
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (6211P2Z)
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Camera was here.

I would tend to agree that that section of road carries a 60 mph limit. He will have to identify the driver if he knows who it is within 28 days or this is an offence in itself - responding to the NIP is not an admission of guilt. He will then likely receive an offer of a fixed penalty notice or speed awareness course. At this point he may want to consider entering a defence if he does not consider that he was speeding. In the meantime he may wish to contact the police station and ask them for evidence of the speed limit on that road as you understand it is 60 mph. The local authority may also be able to confirm on this point

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your help.. Have a lovely afternoon..

I'm glad the above answers all your questions. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me otherwise thank you very much for visiting JustAnswer and I hope we will see you again in the future.