james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

At the beginning of the year I got a speeding ticket which I

Customer Question

Hi there, at the beginning of the year I got a speeding ticket which I did a course on instead of taking points.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: sorry this was in norfolk/suffolk
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: I then got a follow up message about a fine linked to my speeding ticket and I thought it was an admin error as it said i failed to accept the offer of the 3 points. I called the police and checked out that my course had been registered and they said it had so I ignore it. I then had a single Justic procedural notice about not having a MOT at the time of the offence. It seems I misread the original notice as a follow up for the speeding ticket.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: just that I need to figure out whether I plead guilty or not
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

if you were facing a charge for speeding and no MOT they are separate offences. The speed awareness course would have only dealt with the speeding offence not the MOT.

Therefore if you had no MOT, then you are guilty. There is no defence to that offence, either there is or there is not an MOT. If you misread any paperwork, then sorry to say, that is your error, A guilty pleas would be required.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
okay in general practice though, do they usually just give you a fine and not a driving offence?
because there was nothing about pleading guilty on previous letters

It is possible it was not on previous letter. It could be dealt with separately.

The offence is a fine up to £1000

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
does that also come with a Driving offence against your name or is it like getting a speeding ticket and you can just pay the fine?

If it has gone to the single justice or court then it is a driving offence.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
do you know whether that is standard practice or initially they only make you pay a fine?

Normally just the fine

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
okay I will have to hope they go easy on me then as its my first offence!
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thanks for your time

Your welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.