Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I suffer with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue I am also

Hi, I suffer with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue I am also registered disabled and hold a current blue badge allowing me to park for free for 3 hours. During a recent medical episode with my chronic pain and fatigue I had to park up in the first car park I could find. My children and adult daughter used the facilities at McDonald's as I slumped over the wheel. I wasn't aware that I couldn't use my blue badge, I have never experienced this back home, we were tourists making our way back home on the day in question. I have appealed to smart parking explaining but they have rejected my explanation. This episode was not forseen and I feel discriminated because of my disability. How can they override the disabled blue badge, I was being sensible , I was not aware of the signs because the main priority was to park up in a disabled bay . Total frustration and mentally draining. Can they do this to me? It was at Kingston Shopping center at Hull.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Kingston shopping centre in Hull.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: It hasn't got that far, yet Pearl.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The incident happened on 26th July 2021, their letter was dated 11th August which I received 2 or 3 days later.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

You can either pay the lower amount before the deadline or appeal the PCN as unfair and draconian.   There is plenty of good advice online about how to get out of parking fines, such as unclear signs and bay markings.

If you keep on appealing through the company’s enforcement process and then to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (https://www.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/) and ask for an in-person hearing, the company may well drop the PCN as it is not worth them going to the time and expense of attending the appeal.

These parking enforcement companies’ entire business model is based on most people paying up at the first time of asking as it is a small claim and not worth defending.   However, this is a double-edged sword as the PCN will not be worth the parking company pursuing.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your advice, you have confirmed my thoughts on the matter and unprofessional advice I was handed. Hearing it from a solicitor, like yourself, was what I needed to be sure and to ease my frustration and worry. I appreciate your help and thank you for your typed response, I am better at reading than trying to absorb information verbally.
Mrs Jane Sanders

I am delighted that I have resolved your enquiry.

I wish you all the very best in resolving this matter and of course for safely navigating the current “choppy waters” in which we all find ourselves. :)

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you Ed.

My pleasure.