How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Solicitor
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 2130
Experience:  10 years legal experience
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
John is online now

Ellen, I neeed to speak with some one about some speeding

Customer Question

Hi Ellen, I neeed to speak with some one about some speeding tickets I received lastt year and I don't seem to be able to resolve the issue with the autorities. I was severly ill for many months and could not pay attention to what was going on around me and I suffered from mental breakdown and I am still diagnosed with PTSd which makes it very difficult to deal with. I was also forced into personal bankrupsy during my illness which makes it very hard to pay the bills.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am now based in Buckingham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: My car was stolen on 20 May 2020 and in desperation and out of funds I bought an old 1998 car to get my family around as I'm the only one who drives. Because of my illness, We had to move out of london because it was cheaper living and I was unemployed and I had to drive around a lot to get thigs moving. I think the speedometer on the car may be faulty as I received 3 speeding tickets in a short space of time. In the 50 years of driving I can only recal one speeding ticket. However, In the new property which was a newGov. help schemes the post office was not forwarding letters to the new address because the address was not registered yet. The letters were forwarded from our old property to the new and because of the new unregistered poperty and back log of letters due to the pandemic we were getting our letters two to three months late.When I did get the letters for the fine I each one was a £100 finre and a 3 point ion y licence which was very unfortunate because another 3 points on the licence I want be able to drive and to the basic driving chors for the family. My wife wanted to learn to drive but due to the pandemic again there was no lessons to tests to be had and now there is a back log of test applications. On the tickets I received I paid theh £100 but could not send my driving Licence because I had sent it for change of address. So the paymehnts were not acceptable and I kept getting Court Orders to explain the situations and they would send another fine slightly highr. The latest is that One of them has come back with a £230 fine and returned the £100 fine I paid previously.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I want to resolve the matter as quickly as possible, I am 66 years old and unemployed, I am diagnosed as Bipolar and suffering from severe PTSD without any state pension, although I have applied for it without any outcome, the anxiety is detrimental to my health and my family. I am fortunate that my wife works and barely pays all the bills. What I'm afraid of is that If I'm banned from driving I will no longer be able to drive from the property and as we live in the woods in Buckinghamshire and it's impossible to live there without transport.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can.  I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for your message, and sorry to hear of the issues you are having.

There are a few issue here you need to consider.

Firstly, it is liability. It seems you do not accept the charges for the speeding offence due to your car being faulty. If this is the case, you will need evidence of this, and need to prove it was faulty. If you are able to do this, then you have a viable defence to reject the speeding fines. You will need to take the car to a garage to obtain an engineers report which confirms the speedometer is faulty.

Secondly, if your letters were not received on time, due to no fault of your own you can make an application to the court for a statutory declaration. This effectively "resets" the fine back to the cheaper fine. But this will only be relevant if you are accepting liability but only wish to pay the cheaper price.

Lastly, regarding the amount of points, unfortunately if you receive 12 points then you will be banned under the totting up procedure. But you may be able to avoid a ban by attending court and pleading "exceptional hardship" I would suggest you instruct a solicitor to assist you with this.

Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi John
Thank you for your response.
I have pleaded guilty on all charges as I suppose cameras don’t lie.
As solicitors, can you not take this case on and plea for exceptional hardship and charge the State for the costs.
Expert:  John replied 10 days ago.

Hello, unfortunately we cannot take on cases for customers on this website sorry. We cannot form any solicitor-client relationship but you may find a solicitor here

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If you cannot take on cases then why did you charge me £5 for nothing
Expert:  John replied 10 days ago.

This website is just designed to provide any advice and answer queries you may have. Point you in the right direction and provide guidance. We cannot act for you unfortunately, you will need to contact a law firm to assist you with any representations.

To discuss membership and payments, you will need to contact our customer service team here

I hope this helps.