RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I was discharged from hospital after a manic episode on 2nd

Customer Question

Hi, I was discharged from hospital after a manic episode on 2nd July 2021. My doctors advised me I couldn't drive for 3 months, and I completed a form and posted it to the DVLA shortly after I was discharged. I am concerned that as my date to resume driving (after 3 months of stability) approaches, the DVLA have not yet acknowledged my form or given me any info on whether it's ok to start driving again and wait for the paperwork to catch up. The doctor has said she will be happy to sign me off after 3 months of stability, but has been unable to give me any clear advice on whether it's ok from a dvla / legal point of view to start driving again if I still haven't had a response from dvla. Can you help please?
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: I am in Scotland, and there was no citation. No I haven't considered a local attorney.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thanks
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  It is the DVLA's responsibility to update your file based on the doctors advice, therefore even if the DVLA have not processed your forms by the three month period, but the doctor has stated you are good to drive then you should be fine.  Obviously, if the DVLA still have not updated the records then you will want to get on to them about this and have it updated as soon as possible to reflect what the doctors opinion is, however if the doctor has cleared your to drive and you can show this then you should be fine, but do get your records updated as soon as possible.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That's great, you have been very helpful. Thank you.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

You are welcome and I wish you all the best.