How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 80764
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can I ask a court to change location of my appearance? Yes,

Customer Question

Hi, can I ask a court to change location of my appearance?
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The offence was committed 8 miles from home, in Leeds. My case has been referred to Skipton in North Yorkshire which is about 60 miles away. I have to travel by public transport and can not possibly get to the court without going the day before and staying overnight. If the case is late l may not be able to get home the day of the trial. Public transport woulkd take over 3 hours each way.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I am a criminal law barrister. I will assist with your question. Please be aware this is an email not chat service.

Can you give me all the background to this matter please.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Speeding offence committed in Leeds, 8 miles from my home. l am being sent to Skipton Magistrates abot 50 miles from my home. I can't get to Skipton by public transport on the same day so would have to stay overnight on the day before. FMay not be able to get home the day of trial if it finishes late. Public transport would take over 3 hours each way. Can not drive there as driving ban is a possibility. Although not registered as disabled (mainly due to vanity) l was badly injured in an accident and am unable to walk any real distances
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Thanks for the information

You can ask them to do that. You can just email the court. However the reality is that they will probably refuse. I'm afraid that magistrates courts can be very unreasonable and their closing all over the place.

That said, you may as well try and explain your circumstances because if you do not there nothing will happen

Can I clarify anything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.