Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My daughter and partner are renting in BOT and they have so

Customer Question

My daughter and partner are renting in BOT and they have so far accrued at least 20 parking fines (each disputed with no response). When the agent have advised them they have not communicated well. They informed her 3 months in she needed to get a permit, nor advised when taking on the property they just told them they had one numbered space and the other can use the visitor space. Which they now know i
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Burton on Trent
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: she has been in touch with agent since the fines started coming in in April, asking for advice and help. Emails and phones to the agent. Emails to Poolman Property and now trying to get hold of PCUK
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The agents were even telling them to use the visitor spot within last few weeks which is where they are also getting parking fines
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I will ask my daughter if this is what she wants to do ? She is struggling with funds at present because of this situation and we were looking for free legal advice at present.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Who is the issuer of the fine?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
UKPC, via Poolman property, the agent they rent from is Nicholas humphreys Burton on Trent
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This was sent to the letting agent. I feel that misunderstanding have led my daughter to park and keep getting tickets. The letting agent still keep telling them to park in the visitors spot when it has been confirmed by Poolman property that they cannot. The letting agent are the professionals that let the property and although the original let details say with 1 parking space, it took them 3 months to inform my daughter that she needed a permit and 6 months to confirm she could purchase a second permit … had she been informed in January when they took the property on she would not have all the fines. I want the agents to contact Poolman and Poolman to squash the fines.This was an email sent in august to the letting agent
Hi Simon/MatthewAs Office Manager of the Burton Branch I would be grateful for your assistance in this matter.
My daughter and her partner are currently renting a property with yourselves and have been since around January 2021.
I have concerns that your company have miscommunicated and then have not helped the current situation that they now find themselves in with regards ***** ***** parking for the property.My daughter/partner are Rebecca Barlow / Dominic Beresford of 17 St James Court, Grants Yard, BOT, DE14 1BD.They were informed by your office in January that they would have a numbered parking and a visitor parking space when they agreed to rent this property. Why then do they keep getting parking fines? Why at this point was permits not made clear?Firstly, your office did not mention getting the permit, which has since been obtained.Since obtaining the permit they thought the parking tickets would stop but now they now have approx 15/20 parking fines and have requested assistance from your office on several occasions to sort this situation out to no avail.
In my daughters naivety of dealing with such matters she has relied on your company to support and guide them in the rental market and yet she is now receiving the parking tickets at a doubled price through debt collectors.She is currently awaiting one of your staff to call her back after many calls and emails to your office. I believe she said her name is ***** ***** she has helped more than any other member of your staff so far with contacting the parking permits from Poolman Property. Which apparently is proving difficult, as per your staff comment and my daughters experience!I am absolutely convinced that your company could have supported or assisted more when she has been in touch on so many occasions about the same issue she has been having.I would just also mention that she has now contacted Poolman for a second permit, and it has taken this long for someone in your office to let then know that they can buy a second permit and because of this lack of communication from yourselves has added to this whole situation and apart from Liz who has obtained this info and supplies it recently they now have so many tickets going into fines. Surely this information should have been supplied back in January ?My daughter is suffering from severe anxiety regarding all this and the debt that your company and Poolman Property, together have now placed her and her partner in, which they can ill afford. Not only has the last 18 months of job uncertainty and pay been an issue with COVID-19 now this had added to the financial crisis they find themselves in. As a company, I am guessing the government has helped you financially, well it did not help for my daughter and partner in their line of work in any which way, which of course is not your issue however as you will understand that this has not helped financial matters and then the current position they are now in because of your company and Poolman Property.She has emailed in separately, again, but I feel I must also email in in support for her to inform you that I can only advise that she takes the matter further, however, she is still putting her faith in your office to assist and therefore feel as the office manager perhaps you could be aware of the situation and appeal to you personally to assist to resolve this now before any further tickets get to the point of doubling and go through the debt collection process; which she informs me she has to pay !!I will repeat again that she cannot afford to pay the rent whilst having to pay for parking tickets that she believes they have a permit for; that you rent property with ! Your staff have confirmed that they are able to use the visitor space and the permit space, so please explain why there are so many parking tickets in the system when they are able to use these spaces? How will you be assisting to squash these fines and ensure that no further unnecessary fines will be issued?I look forward to your response and if you are unable to respond directly to me then please contact my daughter with urgency before she receives any further debt collection notifications. She is aware of this co
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Ok, so would you mind responding to my information requests?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Without the information that I asked for it is very difficult to respond. However I can say that if you are saying that she parked at this location without displaying a permit then of course they would be entitled to levy fines upon her. If you are saying that she is entitled to a permit but did not have one then you could challenge on that basis.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for the response. I couldn’t see what information was required.
But I believe that the letting agent did not inform her of the need for the permit until 3 months in the rental, hence the fines. They then said she couldn’t have a second permit for car 2 (which 6 months in - they have now informed her she can for £10) . The letting agent surely are the professional body that should have provided the correct information at the start of the rental. She has been emailing them since March, to no conclusion and now she has at least 20 fines at £100 each.
Thank you for your response which I will pass onto her.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 days ago.

Who is the issuer please?