james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I have just returned from holiday to find a letter waiting

Customer Question

Hello. I have just returned from holiday to find a letter waiting for me from Three Rivers District Council regarding a parking ticket issued on 05 August 2021. Here are the circumstances:
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Three Rivers District Council is in Hertfordshire. In the early hours of the morning of 05 August I called 111 because I had been experiencing severe palpitations and was advised to go straight to hospital. My husband took me in his car (obviously i was in no fit state to drive myself). He had to move my car out of the way to get his own car out. I took my keys off him and put them in my pocket. We got to the hospital where i was rushed through to A&E/then CArdiac Department but, becuase of Covid restrictions, my husband was not allowed in. He left as I was taken through for examination. I was detained in the hospital for most of the day and finally diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, given some medication and eventually alowed to go home at about 4pm. When i got home my husband told me that a ticket had been issued. He had explained about my being in hospital and had even left a note in the window prior to the parking restriction time. the WArden said "Not my problem, my job is to issue the ticket". I went outside to retrieve said ticket from the car but there was no ticket on the car. Nothing on the ground nearby, no sign of it. We believed that the Traffic WArden had removed/cancelled the ticket. Having returned from 2 weeks' holiday today, Sunday 12 September, I have received a letter demanding payment of £70 or, pending a failed appeal, court, conviction and up to £5,000 fine. I can prove I was in Hospital on 05 August as I have a discharge letter. Can you advise? Many thanks.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Not at this point.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I believe I've told you everything. thank you.
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please send my answer by email as i do not have an apple phone or an ipad, thank you. (I cannot use your app.)
Expert:  james bruce replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

very sorry to hear what has happened,mi hope you are feeling better now.

Unfortunately, if the car was parked where it should not have been and got ticketed then the ticket is valid, the reasons why it was there, sorry to say does not change that. They could be compassionate but do not have to be.

Your husband was fully aware of the ticket. The person issuing the ticket could have been more polite and explained that once issued he cannot cancel. It is possible the ticket blew off,Mobutu that is unusual.

Could your husband have removed it and forgot about it?

The simplest thing is to pay the parking fine, but you can challenge that if you wish. Contact the issuer and advice that you would wish to challenge the ticket.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I think what you're saying is that I wouldnt win. I thought not. It's very unjust. No one had the means to move the car and it wasnt my fault that i wasnt there to move it in time. And no, my husband didnt forget, he told me about the ticket as soon as i got home. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Your welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.