james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I stupidly tried to avoid a gatso camera by swerving into

Hi, I stupidly tried to avoid a gatso camera by swerving into the opposite lane but still got flashed, will the camera be able to pick up my vehicle registration as I was on the opposite lane?!
JA: What location was this in? And have you consulted a local lawyer?
Customer: I havent consulted a local lawyer as this just happened 10 mins ago and I was just wondering. This was in the Reading area
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: No, this just happened now
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That's all thank you

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your response! Will the camera pick up my vehicle registration if I was in the opposite lane trying to avoid it??
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Im sorry, I don't have £44 for a basic question!

Sorry call offers are auto generated from the site, not from me. I am currently unavailable for calls, but more than happy to continue here.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
please can we continue here

Yes the camera would catch the other lane.

It is also possible that when the authorities look at the camera footage, a decision could be made to consider an offence of careless driving if the standard of driving was as you describe.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Even though the camera is only facing the left side of the traffic
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How can it read my registration if I'm in the oncoming traffic lane!

Correct, your vehicle triggered the camera.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
There's no white lines on the other side where I was
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
wouldn't that be invalid evidence for prosecution?

You will just have to wait and see if they send a NIP to you.

No it would not be invalid if your cat triggered the camera.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My cat?

Car

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
But I read that if the white lines aren't on the floor when you are flashed then there is insufficient evidence?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
As in not enough evidence to proceed with prosecution

Not correct the camera evidence is sufficient. The camera is triggered travelling one direction, if you then as you say stupidly move to the wrong side of the road the camera will still capture the car that triggered the camera.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok, thank you James

Your welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.