Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

A relative and his partner wren killed on Easter Monday when

Customer Question

A relative and his partner wren killed on Easter Monday when a careless driver who was driving under the influence of alcohol collied with them. The driver has been charged with two counts of causing death by careless driving whilst under the influence of alcohol. Does the new legislation enacted in the Crime Police Courts and Sentencing Act 2022 apply i.e could the driver face a whole life sentence for causing death whilst drunken driving?
JA: What was the sentence on the drink driving charges? Have all appeals been exhausted?
Customer: He is due to appear in court on 20th May.
JA: Where are they located? Drink driving laws vary by location.
Customer: Cornwall
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The question is will the new legislation apply.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 17 days ago.

Hello! I am Solicitor4All, a law expert with over 15years practice. Thank you for the inquiry. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

Thank you for the brief,

Please leave it with me for now, I will respond once done rest assured today. Thank you

It is possible yes if they are convicted and the Act came into force from 28 April 2022

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. All the best.