Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have recently received solicitor’s letter, on behalf of an

I have recently received solicitor’s letter, on behalf of an organisation called “British Oil Security Syndicate” falsely accusing me of fuel theft and requesting a balance to be paid. Initially I thought that this might be a scam letter, and still unsure.
I responded (by letter and email) to confirm that I did attend a filling station forecourt approximately 15-20 minutes prior to the alleged offence time, but solely for the purposes of making a CashPoint withdrawal. At the time of the alleged office I was at a nearby gym with a personal trainer who is happy to confirm the time period that I was with him.
In my response I also confirmed mobile ‘phone records would be able to pinpoint my whereabouts at the alleged offence time.
I also replied that there is no doubt that an error has occurred and that they should re-visit the accuser and check their records (presumably CCTV).
I have now received a final demand requesting payment within 7 days. As the demanded figure is small (less than £80) it is tempting to pay, however I know that this is might then incorrectly admit liability.
I have no issues in embarking on a full legal process to defend this accusation, but would appreciate your advice as to how I should move forward.

Hello! I am Solicitor4All, a law expert with over 15years practice. Thank you for the inquiry. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you. Would it help if I sent you a scan of the most recent solicitor letter and my initial response?

Go ahead and send thank you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hopefully this information may provide a fuller overview of the situation.

I am sorry to read of the above. Thank you for the brief,

Please leave the matter with me for now, I will respond once done rest assured today. Thank you

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you very much for your assistance so far.

Thank you for your patience. If you know that you did not take any fuel and that you did not leave without paying for any fuel then you should not be bullied into paying for fuel that you did not consume. you should write a firm letter to them to say if they do not cease and desist from falsely accusing you of taking fuel and leaving without paying you will sue them for harassment and seek an injunction order against them. It is their claim not yours so they must produce evidence showing you fuelling up and walking off.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. Always glad to assist and to clarify anything. All the best.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your advice. Would you suggest handing over to a solicitor at this stage or continue to communicate with them myself? If I send a firm letter now, and they ignore it, how should I then proceed?

If you can afford a solicitor then yes you can seek help. Are they threatening civil action for recovery of the money or criminal action.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. It's a threat of civil action at this stage, with a reference in their letter (letter 2, as previously attached) that their client reserves the right to contact the police in this matter. If so, I assume, it becomes a criminal action.

You are welcome and thank you for your response, I advise you to send the firm letter I advised and just wait.