GabrielP428
GabrielP428, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
112518128

Our car was written off by a drunk driver on April 3rd this

Our car was written off by a drunk driver on April 3rd this year,while we were on holiday in The Republic of Ireland.The driver pleaded guilty,and received a three year ban and a fine of 100 euros.Is there a mechanism in which we can claim compensation from the guilty party,as we incurred significant costs ,in we had to abandon our holiday.The accident happened in the early hours,while we were asleep in our holiday accomodation,so we did not suffer any injuries.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: We live in the UK .The car was written off while we were on holiday in Bantry ,in the Republic of Ireland .The only communication we have had is with The Garda ,who said the case is now closed . Aithough ,we managed to recoup some money through our travel insurance , we have still incurred costs, due to an incident that was no fault of our own.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None . We do not possess the financial resources to really pursue this matter , unless we can go down the No win /No fee route.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not really.

Hi, my name is***** am a solicitor in England and Wales with 9 years of experience and have worked in the legal sector since 2008.

This service is not instant, so please note that I cannot always reply immediately due to other work commitments. I look forward to helping you with your legal problem.

If you would like a call to discuss this further, please let me know

A call is a premium service that includes an extra charge.

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your experience.

Is the other driver insured?

Have you tried speaking to a local solicitor in Ireland about bringing a claim?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The other driver had 3rd party insurance.I have not contacted anyone else,apart from The Garda and yourself.
Have you spoken to your insurance company in the UK?

Before Brexit when you could have claimed in the UK.

This is not the case any longer, and you may have to bring the claim against the offending driver in their jurisdiction using a local solicitor.

It is worth contacting Levenes, who specialises in accidents in the EU.

https://www.levenes.co.uk/personal-injury/road-accident-claims/european-road-accident-claims/

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry for the delay.Basically,our insurance company would not supply a curtesy car or hire car to carry on our holiday.So had to hire a car to drive to Dublin to catch a ferry back.Oue travel insurance re-inbursed for that.Our car insurance company has written off our car and paid us their value of the car.Waiting for a gap insurance claim to be met .Basically lost out on return car ferry booking and lost air bnb accomadation that was booked and refused a refund.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for that.

Not a problem. It is a difficult one.  If there is no injury involved, Solicitors will not take you on a no win no fee basis.

You may be able to make a claim online in the Irish small claims court:

https://www.courts.ie/small-claims-procedure

The Small Claims procedure is a service provided by District Court offices and is designed to handle consumer or business claims inexpensively without involving a solicitor. The local District Court Clerk, who is the Small Claims Registrar, processes small claims. The claim cannot exceed €2,000.

It is worth contacting them to check if you can bring a claim online.

Thank you so much for using Just Answer. If you have further questions, please do feel free to ask them in this chat.

Thank you so much for your positive rating. It is highly appreciated.